Thursday 26 January 2017

Looking To Jesus

26.1.2017                                                                                                                                                                                            
What stared as a ‘kitchen sink meditation’ has somehow turned into more of a sermon. That was honestly not my intention. It just happened .  I’ve never preached in my life but as I entered another year  , I felt undeniably drawn to this passage and hope that in some small measure I can apply it to my own life.
   Philippians 3vs13,14  
‘ Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it ( see verses  8-12) But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining towards what is ahead I press towards the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenwards in Christ Jesus. ‘
        Here  Paul exhorts the church at Philippi  to                 :-   
*        Lay hold of Christ
*        Let go of the past
*        Look forward to the future
In  verses  8 to 11 Paul says ‘ that I may gain Christ and be found in him’  and have a ‘righteousness ....through faith in Christ’  ‘ I want to know Christ..’ ‘ experience the power of Christ’s resurrection’ ‘ share in Christ’s sufferings’ ‘ become like Christ in his death’  ‘ Christ Jesus took hold of me’
Surely  if anyone in scripture could honestly say that he shared in Christ’s sufferings or had become like him in His death it was the apostle Paul. Even at  the time of writing Paul was in prison, suffering for his faith.     In 2 Corinthians chapter  11  he tells us :
  23 Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again.   24 Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26 I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers.  27 I have laboured and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. ...’
        In Ephesians he writes ‘ For it is by grace you have been saved through  faith, and this is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works so no one can boast’  
 Paul understood his standing , his righteousness, was all of Christ. As he embraced this truth Paul longed with every fibre of his being to be more like Christ ‘ being changed into His likeness from one degree of glory to another’ . Paul’s aim was simply to be obedient to God , to be obedient to His calling on his life , to die with Him that he might be raised with Him, to experience the ‘power of His  resurrection’
 As we lay hold of Christ  ,  we too  may often walk the painful road of self-denial . . Jesus himself said that ‘ If any man would come after me He must deny himself, take up His cross daily and follow me.’ Luke 9:23
 What is the Lord asking of my life? No one  would wish to suffer as Paul did,  and mercifully we may never have to,  so how can    this truth be applied ?  This is a personal challenge.
 It could  entail giving up a secret sin , something we cling to dearly  . It could be literally putting others first in some seemingly small way, giving  someone an hour of your time, ministering  to someone in need, giving  material goods , clothes or  money to the poor and  destitute.
Paul encourages himself  to  let go of the past.:- ‘forgetting what is behind...’                                                                  What had Paul in mind?         In chapter 3; 1-8. ,   I think Paul makes it pretty clear. Paul’s credentials were outstanding , his achievements  exemplary  , his knowledge impressive.  He had experienced an encounter with the risen Christ Himself. He had ministered to thousands. He had seen many souls saved under his ministry. If anyone had cause to boast it was Paul. Yet Paul would rather forget all of these things . Why?                                                 ‘ for the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord’.
  Paul, like all believers, recognised   that  nothing he had achieved, nothing he had suffered could put him right with God.                                                                                                                                                                                     Accolades, rewards, achievements, promotions and indeed all forms of self- aggrandisement must be left behind if we are to know Christ  and the power of His resurrection. We can praise God for the many gifts and abilities we have been given : preaching, teaching, hospitality, healing, prophecy , evangelism....... yet we do not glory in these but in the cross of Christ !
As for us,  there may be other things , more difficult , that we need to let go of :- hurts, resentments, regrets, rejections, addictions, immoral lifestyle... to name but a few. All must be brought to the foot of the cross , and left there!
Nothing in my hand I bring, simply to thy cross I cling....’
Paul’s aim, his goal , his sole desire, was to press forward. To use an analogy from athletics , it’s not how we start that’s of upmost importance , but how we finish. This means training hard, sacrificing   time and effort, pressing forward during  those times when we ‘don’t particularly feel like it’ .
Michael Phelps , the most outstanding swimmer of our time and the most decorated Olympian , with 28 medals to his name, did not achieve this by simply jumping in the pool for a few hours to practice now and again.  He trained  in the pool six days per week and did  circuit training  with weights three times per week. He swam an average of eight miles a day during his six hours of swimming. He began his training at 6:30 a.m. , a gruelling , punishing schedule !
 Paul says in Hebrews chapter 12vs 1,2  ‘ let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus....’                                                                                                                                                                I like the Living Bible paraphrase for this ... let us run with patience the particular race that God has set before us.
That’s so important . God has a particular race, a particular journey that only  I can run, not looking round, not comparing my  progress with others, and not giving up !  I keep having to remind myself of this constantly. Isn’t it great, though,  that we do not run this race alone but in the company of  fellow believers, fellow runners, the amazing fellowship of His church, God’s people, ‘encouraging one another and all the more as we see the Day approaching’ .



No comments:

Post a Comment